I PvP. But I am terrible at it. And unfortunately for me, you have to PvP your way through some of the World Events.
Midsummer Festival starts today and it’s the last event I need for the meta achievement. But of course, it has a PvP component:., Stealing the Flames and Desecrating the Flames. So, I’m learning a few things along the way and I’ve got a few tips to maybe help out surviving this mess. 🙂
Anyway, I’ll get right to it after the cut.
- Use maps, as per Wowhead’s guide: Midsummer Festival. Know where you’re going and plan your trips and escapes. (I got SO lost in Exodar…)
- Your enemy faction is full of jerks. Sometimes very persistent jerks. Avoid them to the best of your ability. (If you’re Alliance on Kael’thas, there’s a good chance I’m that enemy faction jerk. FOR THE HORDE! 🙂 )
- Be patient. Ride out your PvP timer if you must. (Can’t do that in Capital cities, unfortunately.)
- Scan the area before desecrating a flame. Be wary of anyone around. Lowbies may not stand a chance against you, but they can always call in the calvary.
- Watch your backside. You will be chased at some point. See #2.
- Running to water and using Elixir of Water Walking can often help with #2, 4, and 5. Hope you’re not being chased by someone who has their own or a quick witted Death Knight. It also helps using some “back doors” to other flames. NOTE: It can indeed be used without having to dismount. Good for on-the-run situations.
- Rogues or Druids – Stealth, stealth, stealth, with a little extra stealth.
- Don’t waste all your defensive cooldowns/stuns at once. Again, see #2.
- Using flight masters/taxi’s will clear your PvP mark.
- Aggro dropping spells are great against guards, but they may not work so well against other players. Use wisely.
- Desecration/stealing flames takes about 1 second to “cast” and can be interrupted.
- Keep your eye on the prize and you might sneak a steal while you’re getting your beat down. (Screw you, Stormwind and Darnassus defenders!)
- Avoid doing this achievement during peak times if you can.
- Travel in groups if you can.
- Stay mounted as often as possible. If you get stunned, hopefully you can stick it out and stay mounted. Once it clears, you should be able to still ride out to [relative] safety.
- Use some of the obstacles to your advantage. Guards can’t jump off stairs, over some hurdles, or off cliffs (slow fall or parachutes ftw!).
- If hearthing means you get out alive, don’t hesitate to do so. If you think you can make it, well, then giv’er.
- At some point, you will die. See #2, yet again. As long as you get comfortable with that, this can still be fun.
- You can wait out your PvP timer while dead (again, not in Capitals), so if you’re getting corpse camped. Ride it out. Go make yourself a sandwich or something while you wait. Resurrect near your body thereafter. Point and laugh at whoever wasted their time to corpse camp.
- If you’re still flagged for PvP, stay off the paths as often as possible and while terrain allows it. I should probably send you back to point #2 for this one…
- Most importantly – have some fun with this one. It’s not like it’s Children’s Week or anything… 😛
Well, that seems like a good place to stop. I’m sure there’s a few tidbits I forgot or didn’t think of. Feel free to toss in a few of your own, if you so desire.
A video, for your enjoyment: